Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Midday. A three minute silence to remember victims of the tsunami disaster. Do not answer the phone, piss, shit, or throw up.

At a time when many religious people may be questioning their faith, I've decided to suspend my disbelief for three minutes and speak directly to God (silently, of course). So here goes...

Thank you God, that you have made me part of the most generous, caring nation on earth.

Thank you God, that I am able to earn so much so that I can give so much.

Thank you God, for sparing our fair isles from mass natural disasters.

Please God, give mankind the technology to predict such awful devastation so that people living in the threatened areas can be evacuated from danger.

I have the office radio on for the three minutes. Heart 106.2, of course. They play what can only be described as the sound of the sea, just in case we forget what caused the disaster. It sounds like they've planted a tiny microphone inside a seashell. The 'silence' is followed by Robbie Williams' 'Angels', the UK's favourite funeral tune. I can't think of a better song to convey the horror of terrifying death.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home