Friday, December 03, 2004

What could be worse than hearing the same crappy songs at least once a day transmitted to your ears by London women's choice of radio station, Heart 106.2? I'll tell you what's worse. It's when they get hold of something you really like and give it the repeat Heart attack.

I can live with hearing Spandau Ballet's 'True' two hundred times a year. I've always known it's shit and always will.

But when it's a song I like, which I own and would like to listen to now and again, and a quick wit at Heart decides the song warrants a place on the playlist, and they play it and play it and play it. And I have to listen because I can't stop myself, because I like the song. I have to listen to it ten times or more a week. And I hum it. And I sing it. And it becomes part of me. More important than the thousands of other songs I like. I feel so in tune with it I feel like I wrote the bloody thing. I begin to despise it.

But you can't say to work colleagues, 'When I say I like a song, can you please turn it off next time it comes on the radio?'

'So you'd rather listen to stuff you don't like than stuff you do?'

Exactly.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home